Busy Bites: My grilled tofu with grilled greens.
Smoky firm tofu, spicy spring onion, and savoury mushrooms. My grilled tofu with grilled greens might not sound like much, but they are the perfect light snack. Low in carbs, high in flavour. And the best thing? They are done in a couple of minutes.
A dish as quick and simple as today’s doesn’t require much of a post. Which comes in handy, if you are short on time – like I currently am. Apart from the obvious yummyness, there is something to eating this dish with chopsticks while you are working. What I love about this dish is how easy and fast it is made – and more importantly, how light it is. Serve this as a quick starter, a snack in between, or a proper meal (by adding a few rice noodles). This dish is vegan, if you omit the fish sauce.
My grilled tofu with grilled greens.
- Firm Tofu
- Spring onions
- Sesame oil
- Soy Sauce (light)
- Fish sauce
- Cut the tofu into thick stripes. Marinate quickly with a couple of teaspoons of sesame oil and garlic, make sure to salt well.
- Marinate thick chunks of spring onion and thick slices of mushroom with the sesame oil, garlic mix, and salt equally well.
- Bring a griddle pan to high heat, and add the tofu first. Allow to brown darkly, then turn until all sides have been grilled.
- Do the same with the spring onion and mushrooms.
- Mix the light soy sauce with a couple of drops of sesame oil, add as much chopped chili as you like. To add more savouriness, add about a teaspoon of fish sauce (leave out to keep vegan). Add lime juice to the taste.
- Assemple the grilled goods, chop a good amount of coriander and dress with the sauce.