Super sneaky salads: My mango and cucumber salad.
Light and crips. Sweet and savoury at the same time. My sliced mango and cucumber salad is the right pick for a quick dish. Done in a little over five minutes, bursting with flavor, and amazingly yumm – this salad will win over your heart. It stores well, if you add the dressing right before digging in. There is little more to say than this: you are a fool, if you don’t give this a try.
This magnificent salad is done in a little more than five minutes, if that at all. It is incredibly quick, light, and refreshing. I like to serve it to savoury dishes (often chicken) to cut through the richness. But more often than not, I’m just having a big bowl of it on it’s own. It might seem odd to add fish sauce (which, spoiler alert, is created by fermenting fish) to fruit, but it is this little bit of extra savouriness that brings out the sweetness of the mango. If you’d like you could add a bit of chopped peanuts to the whole shezaam. Got some left-over chicken? Shredd it and add it. Got a couple of shrimp? Toss them in. If you want to make this a full meal – consider soaking some glass noodles in hot water, and add them after you shook them dry. The only real adversary to this dish is too much liquid.
My sliced mango and cucumber salad.
- Cucumber (1 per person if main, if shared, 1 per two people)
- Ripe Mango (1 per person if main, if shared, 1 per two people)
- Sesame oil
- Fish Sauce
- Light Soy Sauce
- Peel the mango, cut the flesh off the stone and slice finely.
- Remove the tough outer layer of the cucumber using a vegetable peeler. Using the peeler, create translucent ribbons. Discard the seed-compartment.
- For one mango and one cucumber, mix the juice of half a lime, with about 3 teaspoons of sesame oil, 3 teaspoons of fish sauce and 4 teaspoons of light soy sauce.
- Grind a 1 cm thick piece of ginger, with your hands squeeze out about a teaspoon of ginger juice, add to the dressing.
- Finely slice the chilli (use as much as you’d like) and add to the dressing. Shake.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro and add to a bowl with the finely sliced mango and the cucumber ribbons. Add the dressing and mix.